Saturday 29 September 2012

Man ferries people across flooded Cape street

Johannesburg - A Somerset West man carried people across the town's main street for a fee after heavy rains caused it to flood, according to a report on Saturday.

Patrick Malgas, 39, ferried pedestrians who did not want to get knee deep into the water to cross the street on his back for R2, Beeld reported.

When asked where he got the idea, a friend of his answered: "From the Lord".

However Malgas refuted this and said he got the idea seven years ago after seeing another man do it.

He has been homeless for 13 years after his parents lost their home in Macassar, according to the report.

"I made R42. One woman gave me R7. There was also one big woman who I had to carry with her baby on her back and all," Malgas was quoted as saying.

"Some people were hesitant, but when they saw I didn't drop anyone else they wanted to get on [my back]."

A businessman in town even made him a poster to advertise his service.

"I took off my shoes and rolled up my trouser legs. I was soaking wet very quickly, but it was worth it," he told Beeld.

- SAPA/News24

No comments:

Post a Comment