Thursday, 27 December 2012

Children playing with matches resulted in backyard dwelling been gutted by fire

At 18:00 on Wednesday, 25 December 2012 the City was notified of a fire at 7 Yellowwood Road in Bonteheuwel.

The City’s Fire & Rescue Services was immediately dispatched to the address.

At 18:04 upon arrival by the rescue crews it was established that a backyard dwelling was engulfed in flames.

The emergency crews of the Fire & Rescue Services swiftly brought the fire under control.

The entire household furniture and personal effects were destroyed by the fire.

The occupants that resides at the address informed the authorities that the fire was caused as a result of children that were playing with matches that ignited the mattress spreading to the entire wendy house.

No persons sustained any injuries in the fire.

The City’s Disaster Risk Management Centre appeals to residents to keep matches, lighters, paraffin and poisonous substances out of the reach of children and ensure that children are always supervised and never left alone.


Issued by: Disaster Risk Management Centre, City of Cape Town

Supplied by: Wilfred Solomons-Johannes, Head: Systems Integration, Special Projects & Disaster Operations, Disaster Risk Management Centre, City of Cape Town

No comments:

Post a Comment