Saturday, 9 February 2013

Fire started by illegal burning of copper wire – 18 people homeless in Netreg

An inferno left 18 people homeless at Netreg, Bonteheuwel earlier this morning.

The blaze that was reported at 11:35 today [Friday, 08 February 2013] destroyed two informal dwellings at 21 Oliehout Street.

The fire spread and affected another two backyard dwellings situated at 67 and 69 Oleander Road.

According to occupants it is alleged that the people at 21 Oliehout was making an open flame fire burning copper wire.

The disaster response teams interviewed the eyewitnesses which said that the sparks from the fire resulted in the backyard dwellings catching alight.

No persons sustained any injuries or died as a result of the fires.

The occupants who have lost all their personal belongings in Oleander Street said that they will open a case docket for the guilty persons to be prosecuted by the South African Police Services [SAPS].


Issued by: Disaster Risk Management Centre, City of Cape Town

Source: Wilfred Solomons-Johannes, Head: Systems Integration, Special Projects & Disaster Operations, Disaster Risk Management Centre, City of Cape Town

No comments:

Post a Comment