Saturday, 23 February 2013

SEA RESCUE – EASTERN CAPE – Friday, 22nd February, 2013. Yacht requiring assistance

On Friday morning, 22nd February, at 03h00 NSRI Port Alfred volunteer sea rescue duty crew were activated following a request for assistance from the 33 foot yacht KYENA II, with two male crew onboard, reporting their skipper to be suffering back pain, and their yacht experiencing motor problems and unable to sail in limited wind conditions 10 nautical miles South East of Bird Island.

KYENA II is the same yacht that was towed from 30 nautical miles off-shore of East London by the NSRI East London on Friday 15th of February (an operation that began at 21h30 and saw them towed into East London at 03h30 the following day by NSRI East London) after they suffered motor failure and storm damage to their sails while sailing through the Transkei Coast.

They had reportedly effected repairs and were continuing on their voyage South, final destination Simonstown, but between East London and Port Elizabeth they again requested NSRI assistance, at 03h00 on Friday 22nd February, complaining of back pain to the skipper, motor problems to the yacht and a lack of efficient sailing wind!

Our NSRI Port Alfred volunteer sea rescue duty crew launched our sea rescue craft LOTTO CHALLENGER and responded while NSRI Port Elizabeth were placed on alert and while members of the AB Yacht Club in Port Elizabeth were placed on alert in case fresh sailing crew would be required if the injured skipper needed to be taken off the yacht.

On arrival on-scene NSRI Port Alfred rescue crew found that their water trap on their motor was water logged causing the motor to fail. The skipper, while suffering some back pain, was not seriously injured and he required no immediate emergency medical care.

NSRI Port Alfred rescuers fixed their motor at sea and the two men have continued under motor power on towards Port Elizabeth.

The AB Yacht Club safety officer will assess the competency of the yacht on her arrival in Port Elizabeth.

NSRI Port Elizabeth remained on stand-by pending their arrival in Port Elizabeth.

NSRI Port Alfred accompanied the yacht towards Port Elizabeth into the morning and after all appeared to be under control they left them to sail on and returned to base.


Released by:

Craig Lambinon
Sea Rescue Communications

No comments:

Post a Comment