Sunday, 31 March 2013

Fire leaves 120 people homeless in Langa

An inferno was reported at 23:45 on Saturday, 30 March 2013 at Lerotholi Avenue in Langa.

Upon arrival of the firefighters it was established that shacks were engulfed with flames.

The blaze destroyed 31 shacks leaving 120 people displaced. All persons were accounted for and no injuries were sustained.

The City’s disaster response teams assisted the fire victims with the supply of food parcels, blankets, baby packs, clothing and building material.

The City’s Disaster Risk Management Centre encourages residents to be fire safe when working with open flames. When going to bed, residents should isolate electrical devices and extinguish gas burners, candles, lamps and paraffin stoves in order to prevent fires.

For more information on how to prevent fires please visit City’s Disaster Risk Management Centre on www.capetown.gov.za on www.capetown.gov.za/disaster.

End

Issued by: Disaster Risk Management Centre, City of Cape Town



Source : Wilfred Solomons-Johannes, Head: Systems Integration, Special Projects & Disaster Operations, Disaster Risk Management Centre, City of Cape Town

No comments:

Post a Comment