Sunday, 10 March 2013

Fires in Cape Town leaves 128 homeless over weekend

Over one hundreds persons were left homeless devastated

ELSIES RIVER: At 11:25 Saturday, 09 March 2013 a fire was reported at 10 Carra Street, Connaught Estate in Elsies River. Two fire engines and one rescue vehicle were dispatched to the incident from Belhar and Goodwood fire stations. The fire destroyed one wood and iron structure (backyard dwelling) at the rear of the formal house on enclosed grounds. Upon arrival of firefighters the structure was engulfed with flames and the personal belongings, furniture, appliances and bedding was completely destroyed. The blaze spread to the formal house and the firefighters averted the dwelling catching alight, Due to the intensity of the inferno the windows cracked and the kitchen door suffered slight fire damage. The five occupants residing in the backyard dwelling were left homeless. It is suspected that children entered the backyard dwelling without permission that started the fire. The incident is under investigation.

BLACKHEATH: At 00:44 on Sunday, 10 March 2013 the South African Police Services reported a fire in progress at the Happy Valley Informal Settlement, off Wimbledon Road in Blackheath. Three fire engines, 2 water tankers and 1 rescue vehicle were dispatched from Mfuleni, Kuils River, Strand and Belhar fire stations to the scene of incident. As firefighters approached the scene of the incident it was observed that smoke was billowing from a distance. At 00:49 upon arrival of the emergency crews the residents were evacuated from the structures to safety. The firefighters manage to extinguish at 02:09. The fire destroyed 7 shacks leaving 23 people displaced. One adult male that suffered burnwounds to his one shoulder and refused to be transported to hospital for medical treatment. It is suspected that a “gally” fire was left unattended that presumably caused the fire.

ATHLONE: At 08:46 on Sunday, 10 March 2013 an emergency call was reported for a house alight at 11 Ruby Crescent in Athlone. Shortly thereafter at 08:51 a member of the public reported that another fire was taking place near the Vygieskraal Stadium. At the same time the Fire & Rescue Services arrived and it was established that a fire was rapidly spreading in the informal settlement area situated at 8th Avenue in Athlone. As a result 20 shacks were destroyed and two low-cost housing dwellings were also affected as a result of the shacks been built in close proximity. A total of 100 persons were affected by the blaze. The shacks were built under the overhead powerlines that were also damaged. The City’s standby electricians effected emergency repairs to the supply in the area. It is suspected that one of the occupants of the shacks leaving a pot on a stove that resulted in the blaze.

Disaster response teams at hand

The City’s disaster response teams assisted the fire victims with the supply of food parcels, blankets, baby packs, clothing and building material.

The City’s Disaster Risk Management Centre encourages residents to be fire safe when working with open flames. When going to bed, residents should isolate electrical devices and extinguish gas burners, candles, lamps and paraffin stoves in order to prevent fires.

For more information on how to prevent fires please visit City’s Disaster Risk Management Centre on on


Issued by: Disaster Risk Management Centre, City of Cape Town

Source: Wilfred Solomons-Johannes, Head: Systems Integration, Special Projects & Disaster Operations, Disaster Risk Management Centre, City of Cape Town

No comments:

Post a Comment