Wednesday, 27 March 2013

SEA RESCUE – HOUT BAY and KNYSNA – Tuesday, 26th March, 2013. Yacht assisted in Cape Town and two youngsters on a rubber-duck assisted by Knysna Yacht Club

Hout Bay:

Lyall Pringle, NSRI Hout Bay station commander, said:

"At 14h57 (Tuesday, 26th March) NSRI Hout Bay volunteer sea rescue duty crew were activated following a request for assistance from the 34 foot Catamaran yacht ATLANTIS reporting to have fishing net fouled around her motor propellor and rudder off-shore of Olifantsbospunt, Cape Point.

"The yacht, sailing from last port of call The Seychelles to the Port of Table Bay, Cape Town, with a 55 year old Belgium male skipper onboard and a 49 year old South African female onboard.

"Our NSRI Hout Bay volunteer sea rescue duty crew launched our sea rescue craft NADINE GORDIMER and ALBIE MATTHEWS and responded.

"On arrival on-scene we found the yacht underway, under sail, but having steering difficulties with rope and fishing net fouled around her motor props and rudder.

"NSRI rescue swimmer Dean Morrison was deployed into the water and he free dived under the yacht and cut the rope and fishing net free which was recovered onto our sea rescue craft and once all rope and fishing nets were cut free the yacht continued on her passage to Cape Town and no further assistance was required.


Graeme Harding, NSRI Knysna station commander, said:

"At 20h24 (Tuesday, 26th March) NSRI Knysna volunteer sea rescue duty crew were activated following reports of unknown people screaming for help on the Knysna Lagoon in the vicinity of the Angling and Yacht Clubs.

"Our NSRI Knysna volunteer sea rescue duty crew responded to our base to launch our sea rescue craft and in the interim numerous calls were being received reporting the cries for help including a call from the Knysna Yacht Club.

"While our NSRI crew were responding to our sea rescue base we requested the Yacht Club members to launch a boat to investigate while we continued to respond.

"On arrival on-scene the yacht club members reported finding two youngsters on a small rubber-duck, a tender boat for a house boat. They were being swept away in strong winds and the yacht clubs boat took them under tow and brought them safely ashore where they required no further assistance.

"It appears that the two youngsters had launched their house boats 'tender boat' (a small rubber duck), on Knysna Lagoon, to fetch their father from the shore but they had not opened the 'pet cock' (an air valve switch on the fuel tank) and while motoring to shore the motor was starved of fuel and the motor stalled causing them to be rapidly swept away in strong winds.

"As no further assistance was required and they were safe, thanks to the quick response of the Knysna Yacht Club members, NSRI stood down and returned to 'stand-by'."


Released by:

Craig Lambinon
Sea Rescue Communications

No comments:

Post a Comment