Monday, 20 August 2012

Suspected electrical short circuit results in death of a man in Ravensmead

At 06:18 the City’s Emergency Services was alerted regarding a fire that broke out at 31 Napier Street, Ravensmead.

The City’s Fire & Rescue Services was activated and fire tenders rushed to the scene of incident.

The firefighters swiftly brought the fire under control within minutes upon their arrival.

The fire caused the death of Samuel Petrus De Bruyn (52 years) that was sleeping in the undercover braai area.

It is suspected that the fire was caused by an electric short circuit.

The City’s Disaster Risk Management Centre appeals to residents to exercise caution by not overloading electrical plugs as they may overheat and catch fire; and to ensure that electricity connections are safe at all times to prevent accidental fires.

The SAPS has opened an inquest to investigate the incident.


Issued by: Disaster Risk Management Centre, City of Cape Town

Source: Wilfred Solomons-Johannes, Head: Systems Integration, Special Projects and Disaster Operations, Disaster Risk Management Centre, City of Cape Town

No comments:

Post a Comment