Friday 22 June 2012

Knysna: Near-fatal bee attack

KNYSNA NEWS FLASH - "I felt no pain, but remember the horror of the terrible buzzing sound of the bees as they stung me all over my face, crawling into my mouth, nose, and ears," exclaimed Mervyn Crous, Pledge Square Nature Reserve manager.

Crous is well aware of how lucky he is to have survived an attack by about 400 angry bees.

Crous, Attie Heunis of Knysna Correctional Services and two prisoners were clearing invasive trees between the reserve and the prison on June 13. "I was not even aware that there was a swarm of bees in the area," explained Crous.

His assistant had walked through the thicket to take a saw to Heunis, leaving Crous alone when the bees attacked. "I dropped to my knees trying not to move, thinking that if I stayed perfectly still the bees would stop stinging me," said Crous.

- Knysna/Plett Herald

No comments:

Post a Comment